Are you wondering what “no strings attached” really mean? In order to understand this type of casual connection and see if it’s the right choice for you, then you should know exactly what this kind of relationship entails so you can definitively say “yes” or “no” to no strings attached.
What Does “No Strings Attached” Really Mean?
In the fundamental sense, a no strings attached relationship is one in which two people carry on a purely physical connection with one another, yet there’s no emotional connection between them.
In other words, a no strings attached relationship implies that you’re sexually intimate, but that’s as far as your relationship goes, and you’re not committed to each other in any way.
What Are the Pros of a No Strings Attached Relationship?
In order to determine if a no strings attached relationship is the right choice for you, it’s important to understand the positive aspects of this kind of casual connection.
1. You’re totally uncommitted. One of the pros of having a no strings attached relationship is that while you get to enjoy a physical connection with another person, there’s no sense of obligation or commitment. Your role is not that of a boyfriend or girlfriend, and rather than providing emotional guidance and support, your time together is strictly physical. So if you’re someone who’s not ready or looking to have a serious relationship, this kind of casual connection can meet your needs in every sense.
2. You can pursue many different options. Along these lines, another positive aspect of a no strings attached relationship is that you don’t have to be monogamous. In fact, having a no strings attached connection allows you to continue playing the field and pursue multiple people at any given time—and that’s why it’s a great option if you’re interested in keeping your options open.
3. It can be fun. Many people involved in no strings attached relationships enjoy the thrill and excitement of this kind of connection with someone. Specifically, you get to enjoy intimate time with another person and keep things light while avoiding the possible issues, concerns, and misunderstandings that can arise in a more serious relationship.
What Are the Cons of a No Strings Attached Relationship?
However, having a no strings attached relationship isn’t for everyone, as there are definitive downsides to this type of casual connection.
1. You may develop feelings that go unrequited. If you’re involved in a no strings attached relationship, you risk developing feelings for this other person—feelings that won’t be reciprocated. And since it’s not uncommon to find that spending intimate time with someone may lead you to want a more serious commitment from him or her, you may be putting yourself on the path toward heartache and heartbreak by engaging in this type of casual connection.
2. It may prevent you from looking elsewhere for a serious relationship. Another downside of a no strings attached relationship is that it may hinder you from pursuing something more serious with someone else.
In other words, since you’re spending your time, focus and energy on your casual endeavors, you may be making yourself unavailable to someone who can provide you with a deeper and more meaningful connection.
3. You’re risking your emotional and physical health. Many people who are involved in no strings attached relationships can also end up feeling used, hurt and unimportant due to the very nature of this kind of casual connection. And it’s not uncommon to find yourself questioning your own sense of self-worth when you spend time with someone who’s there for you physically, but not emotionally. And speaking of physically, this type of relationship can also put your personal wellness at risk as well.
Is a No Strings Attached Relationship Right for You?
After weighing the pros and cons of embarking on this kind of strictly physical connection with someone else, it’s time, to be honest with yourself in order to determine if this type of relationship is the right choice at this point in your life.
After all, if you’re ready for and looking for a serious commitment, then having a no strings attached relationship isn’t going to fulfill your needs. However, if your goal is to keep things light, then opting for no strings attached can help you stay unattached.